Empty desks and substitute teachers at school; Coworkers MIA for days. It’s cold and flu season folks! Time to boost your immunity! Whether you’re trying to fend off the virus or you’ve already been hit, cook up a batch of immune supporting soup. It’s packed full of good for you ingredients that’s sure to cure what ails you. As Ann Wigmore’s quote says “The food you eat can either be the safest & most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.”
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, rough chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into slivers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cup bok choy, chopped (separate the stalk and leaves)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon curry
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- fresh chopped cilantro
- fresh daikon or alfalfa sprouts
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot. Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, bok choy stalks, and ginger .
- Sauté’ 6-7 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric powder, chicken stock, Green leafy part of the bok choy, and chicken. Stir to combine.
- Continue to cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with daikon or alfalfa sprouts, and cilantro to serve.
For more healthy recipes, visit my friend and fellow blogger, Sarah at Fresh Foodie Mama!